Serving the country comes with a lot of responsibility and commitment to the safety of others. It is an honorable profession that many people are proud to be a part of. Because of the risk and dangers that are associated with being in the military, there are many perks and benefits that are given to those who serve. One of these benefits is military legal services.
Military legal services are designed to help service members with any legal matters that they may have. This can include things like divorce, child custody, wills and trusts, and even criminal defense. To confirm eligibility and see what merit your need for legal services has, you can connect with Aaron Meyer Law to speak with an expert.
Is There Free Military Counsel?
It is true that the military does provide free legal services to those who serve. All eligible service members do not have to worry about the cost of a lawyer when they need one for the bulk of their legal matters. However, there are some caveats to this free service.
For example, if your specific legal issue requires a filing fee, you will likely have to pay that out of pocket, in addition to any of these other potential fees:
- Trial transcripts
- Expert witness fees
- Court reporter fees
- Copies of records or documents
- Private investigator fees
It is important to speak with an attorney beforehand so that you are aware of what kinds of fees you may be responsible for. The military does provide free legal services to those who serve, though, which leaves you in a much better position than if you had to find and pay for your own lawyer.
Who Is Qualified for Free Military Counsel?
To be eligible for free military counsel, you must fall within one of these categories:
- You are currently on active duty.
- You are in the reserves or national guard.
- You are a military retiree.
- You are the spouse or dependent child of a service member.
If you do not fall into one of these categories, you may still be eligible for free military counsel if you can show that your legal issue is directly related to your service. For example, if you are facing a criminal charge that stems from an incident that occurred while you were on active duty, you would likely still be eligible for free military counsel. The best way to ensure your eligibility is to speak with an attorney who can review your individual case.
Common Military Scenarios That Call for a Lawyer
While military legal services can help with any legal matter, there are some common scenarios that call for a lawyer. These include:
- Personal injury. If you are injured while on active duty, an investigation into your injury could prove that it was the result of negligence on the part of your commanding officer or another service member. You would then be able to file a lawsuit against the military for damages. Being in the military is already a risky job, and you shouldn’t have to worry about being injured due to someone else’s negligence. Because of this, it’s important to have an attorney on your side who can help you get the compensation you deserve.
- Civil rights. The military is a large organization with a lot of bureaucracy. This can sometimes lead to service members having their civil rights violated. For example, if you are facing discrimination based on your race, gender, or sexual orientation, you may have a case for wrongful discrimination. An attorney can help you navigate the process of filing a claim and ensure that your rights are being protected.
- Criminal defense. Service members may be charged with a crime while on active duty or after they leave the military. A lawyer can assess the unique circumstances of your case and ensure no one takes advantage of you or misrepresents you.
Regardless of what merit your need for legal services has, you can connect with Aaron Meyer Law to speak with an expert. With years of experience as both a military lawyer and a civilian lawyer, Aaron Meyer is uniquely qualified to help you with your legal needs.
How Can a Military Attorney Help Me?
A military attorney can help you with any legal need you may have. They are experts in military law and can assist you in navigating the unique challenges you are facing. They can also help you with any civilian legal needs that you may have.
Some common ways that a military attorney can help you include:
- Superior knowledge of military law. Military lawyers have studied the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) inside and out. They understand the nuances of military law and can help you navigate the legal system to ensure justice prevails and your rights are protected.
- Access to military-specific resources. Military lawyers have access to military-specific resources that can help you with your case. For example, they may have access to military records or be able to speak with witnesses who are not available to the general public.
- An understanding of military culture. Military lawyers understand the unique culture of the military, including the chain of command and the importance of following orders. This can be helpful if you are facing a court-martial or other military justice proceeding.
These are just a few of the ways that a military lawyer can prove to be an invaluable asset. If you are facing any legal challenges, whether in the military or civilian world, it is important to speak with an attorney who can help you navigate the system and ensure your rights are protected.
Contact Aaron Meyer Law Today
If you are affiliated with the military and need legal assistance, don’t hesitate to contact Aaron Meyer Law. We can help you with any legal challenge, whether it’s in the military or civilian world. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to speaking with you and helping you resolve your legal matter with speed, integrity, and compassion.